Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Part 3: Serving APEX in Private Subnet behind Public Load Balancer

I have an Autonomous database with private endpoint, I've launched a compute instance on which I've installed java and ORDS. And configured ORDS to connect to my ATP instance. So with this part I will configure a public load balancer to serve my APEX installation

1I start with creating a public load balancer

2 My backend is serving HTTP over 8080 port, and I will do SSL termination on load balancer.

3 Load balancer will be listening to HTTPS traffic and then terminate SSL to backend

4 Once load balancer is created, I can configure backends.

Important: I prefer to add access rules manually as backend servers has network security group attached allowing traffic from/to public subnet for ports 8080/8443

5 Add Http Listener on port 80

6 Now I can configure Http to Https redirect as described here .

7 Now I edit Http Listener and Apply redirect rule I've just created

8 I create a new network security group to allow traffic towards load balancer ports 80 and 443. Then attach this NSG to load balancer.

9 Now I can test accessing it by pointing my browser to load balancer public IP. Both Http and Https protocols should work.

Troubleshooting connection issues

1 Use curl and wget to see redirects etc.

2 You can also use browser developer tools

3 I prefer using bastion service port forwarding session to access backend directly and bypass load balancer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

Putting it altogether: How to deploy scalable and secure APEX on OCI

Oracle APEX is very popular, and it is one of the most common usecases that I see with my customers. Oracle Architecture Center offers a re...